Disney at MIPCOM 2018
Agency: 2Heads Global Design
Event Name: MIPCOM 2018
Agency Website: www.2heads.com
‘Party like it’s 1928: 90 years of Mickey Mouse’
To celebrate the landmark milestone 90 years since the creation of one of the most famous and iconic cartoon characters, world-leading entertainment brand Disney wanted to create an environment that celebrated the history of Mickey Mouse at the leading media flagship show, MIPCOM in Cannes, attended by 13,800 people.
Partnering with 2Heads, Disney wanted to showcase its past, present and future whilst heightening the visitor journey to stand out as a world-leading media brand. The objective was to transform Disney’s stand space at MIPCOM into a functional yet playful environment in which to conduct meetings and promote existing and new content. The challenge was also to create a new and unique design that would leave a lasting impression on attendees and their own global team members.
The total budget of the campaign was $850,000 to design a memorable experience for Disney across a stand space of 13,000 square feet including all outdoor terrace and beach space.
2Heads designed a unique and immersive ‘Clubhouse’ containing ten iconic spaces between 1928 – 1928, welcoming everyone to Mickey’s 90th Celebration. This helped to convey a brand story and demonstrate how Disney had developed as a media business over the years.
This consisted of a truly fun and engaging environment featuring macro and micro touchpoints such as Mickey’s footsteps for visitors to follow, branded props, celebrity fans, photo opportunities and other hidden items throughout the space for attendees to explore and find.
A series of unique environments were created that harnessed the Mickey Mouse brand through the ages, taking attendees on a journey through the character’s evolution. These included:
• Exterior façade, welcoming show guests with bold graphics announcing the 1928 theme
• Reception area featuring the iconic mouse head logo across all assets, branded chairs and cushions, and a striking quote from Walt Disney ‘It was all started by a mouse’ emphasising the importance of the character to the brand on the main wall
• Tunnel connecting branded environments displaying framed photos of celebrities including Anthony Anderson, Joe Mantegna and Kevin McKidd, posing with iconic mickey mouse ears, graphics and stuffed toys
• ‘Café 1928’ hospitality environment, seating 136 people with graphic displaying a variety of Disney’s famous characters including Mickey
• 6 unique meeting spaces containing Mickey Mouse branded walls, screens with curated content and custom designed fabricated décor pieces
2Heads relished in the conception of a space that would honour Mickey, celebrating iconic looks from 1928s Steamboat Willie to the animation he is today.
The number of people involved in the activation totaled eight members of the 2Heads full-time team across its Client Services, Program Management, Production Management, Creative and Digital departments. In total, the operation involved a huge talent pool of 120 contractors and vendors from pre-production, to installation and strike. The teams worked as a unit day and night and across multiple time zones to ensure each element was completed successfully. Each element was review, approved and placed into production.
Over the course of the four-day event, Disney harnessed 2Heads’ proprietary event management software EventHive to record:
• Total number of meetings booked: 600
• Total number of people booked for meetings / stand attendance: 1,300
• Total percentage of people that came through booth: 10% of all MIPCOM attendees
Disney also recorded multiple business transactions with key global broadcasters who captured the fun of the event through overwhelmingly positive feedback. In order hit their targets, 51 different business units from around the global flew to Cannes to host meetings. The design included a space for each team to conduct their meetings, which were often back to back over the course of 4 days.